A wet or leaky basement can result in musty smells over a period of time. Just getting the basement leak repair isn’t enough as the smell still stays behind. So, let’s a look at how to eliminate these musty smells from your basement areas.
- Mold is a very common outcome of a leaking basement, which is also the main cause of the damp smell. So, the best way is to throw out everything with molds such as books, rugs, chipboards, old clothes, carpets, papers, etc.
- Vacuum the area and use sandpaper to get rid of the mold that is deeply penetrated in the wooden area. Vacuuming will also help in getting rid of pathogens, mold spores, and allergens to eliminate the musty smell.
- Opening windows and ventilation will help with getting rid of the smell caused by the wet and leaking basement. You can also make use of a dehumidifier to keep the basement dry and avoiding accumulating any damp smell.
- Installing window fans for circulating the stagnant air will help with the elimination. It will also help with ventilation and moving air in and out of the window. This will replace the stagnant air with the fresh one.
- Make sure that you look for basement leak repair services to take care of the cracks in your foundation. As with a leaky basement, the musty smell will always return irrespective of how hard you try to get rid of it.